Happy Monday, people of Tampa! Here’s everything you need to know going on locally today.
First, today’s weather: Possible light rain in the afternoon and evening. High: 91 Low: 79.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
1. Dozens of people gathered Sunday in downtown Tampa to raise awareness for environmental impacts seen in the area due to red tide. One group participating was a Facebook group called “Stop Red Tide St. Pete.” (WTSP)
2. Florida is threatening sanctions against Ben & Jerry’s because it plans to stop doing business in territories it believes Israel shouldn’t control. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
3. A judge sentenced convicted murderer Ronnie Oneal to 3 consecutive life sentences plus 90 years in prison. Oneal represented himself in court during his trial, at times yelling at jurors in what has become a widely followed case where he was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend and their disabled daughter, and the attempted murder of his son.. (Fox 13 Tampa Bay)
4. A car crashed into the front windows of the Sunshine Thrift Store early Sunday afternoon. It is not known whether the driver or anyone else at the store was hurt at this time. (WTSP)
5. A group of attorneys filed a lawsuit Sunday in an effort to force the State of Florida to restore $300 weekly extended federal unemployment benefits. There are numerous similar lawsuits in other states that also ended unemployment benefits ahead of a planned federal sunset. (Spectrum News 13)
Today in Tampa
- Hillsborough Schools Transportation Job Fair at Silo Bend. (8:00 AM)
- Mothercraft at Community Roots Collective. (10:00 AM)
- CareerSource Tampa Bay Open House. (10:00 AM)
- South Tampa Professionals Networking Lunch at Wright’s Deli. (12:00 PM)
- Intro to Ukulele at TRIBE Seminole Heights. (5:30 PM)
- Yoga at the Park at Water Works Park. (6:00 PM)
- Hyde Park Sweat with Bella Prana. (6:00 PM)
- Summer Program At Hillsborough County Libraries. (6:30 PM)
Tampa Patch Notebook
- City of Tampa: “DYK you can get your COVID-19 vaccine AT HOME for free?
DeliveRxd Pharmacy is offering free at home vaccines for individuals who live in and . You do not have to be homebound or bedridden. For more information, call 813-932-6266.” (Twitter)
- Tampa Bay Times: “Dr. Anthony Fauci says the CDC is weighing revising their COVID-19 guidelines to recommend that even fully vaccinated…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Times: “Largo native Anastasija Zolotic wins the United States’ first gold medal in Olympic women’s taekwondo by defeating Ru…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Times: “USF’s president announced he’s leaving two years into his term. What does that mean for the trajectory of the univers…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Times: “Nursing homes representatives asked officials not to tap into a fund reimbursing health care providers for expenses a…” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Property Management Career Fair (July 27)
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (July 31)
- Grill, Ceramic, Primo Kamado, Custom (Details)
- Genesis 310 FTDH Hard Bottom Inflatable with custom-made chaps (Details)
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update! If you’re liking these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? Email me at [email protected]